Labor Then & Now

These images from the NYTimes instantly reminds me of Lewis Hine's documentary photographs from the 1930s. Its interesting to contrast the two.



Labor Day is a great time to reflect on and show gratitude toward Lewis Hine. He was one of the main instruments in bringing to pass child labor and human rights laws for workers in the United States. 

Icarus atop Empire State Building
New York, 1931




Man on hoisting ball
Empire State Building
New York, 1931





"Old-timer, keeping up with the boys. Many structural workers are above middle-age. Empire State [Building]"
By Lewis Hine, New York City, New York, 1930
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration






"Photograph taken after midnight on April 17, 1912, G St. near 14th. These boys, 10, 11, and 12 years old, were stuck with over fifty papers in their hands, and vowed they would stay until they sold out if it took all night. The oldest said, ‘my mother makes me sell.’"






"Some of the doffers and the Supt. Ten small boys and girls about this size out of a force of 40 employees. Catawba Cotton Mill. Newton, NC"
By Lewis Hine, December 21, 1908





Norma Lawrence is 10 years old and picks from 100 to 150 pounds of cotton a day. Drags the sack which often hold 50 pounds or more before emptied. Lewis W. Hine. See 4569. Location: Comanche County, Oklahoma.



488 Macon, Ga. Lewis W. Hine 1-19-1909. Bibb Mill No. 1 Many youngsters here. Some boys were so small they had to climb up on the spinning frame to mend the broken threads and put back the empty bobbins. Location: Macon, Georgia.



Group on Court St., selling around the "Shea" Theater, 8 P.M. Boy in center - Vito Bucheto, 10 years old, 162 Court St. Behind him to left: Tony Gregoria 12 years old, 69 Front St.,. Location: Buffalo, New York (State)



"Boy Wanted" sign. West 19[th] Street. Location: New York, New York (State)



Title: Tony Tomarila [or Tomasula?], 11 Fly St., 8 years old. This newsie had just gotten his afternoon papers, after school, and was starting out on his rounds. I found him later in a saloon, at 10 P.M. Has no badge. Location: Buffalo, New York (State)



Children from school No. 2 in the Italian district Terrace[?] nr. GeneSt. Many of these children spend their summer vacations in the canning and fruit picking settlements where their parents go to work during the season. Feb. 8, 1910, Buffalo, N.Y. Location: Buffalo, New York



All images were taken from either the National Archives or The Library of Congress.  There are hundreds of images and captions to look through.  The Library of Congress' website makes it very easy to search by subject, as you can tell with the Buffalo and Italian Buffalo images I chose (I am an Italian from Buffalo).  Near and dear to my heart is also the images of steel workers in Pittsburgh (my mothers family is from Pittsburgh).

Especially emotional to me are Lewis Hine's images of the coal mines in Pennsylvania.  My great grandfather worked in the coal mines in Scranton.  It actually could have been this mine pictured below. He passed away of Black Lung.  He had the death rattle for two weeks before he finally passed on December 3, 1940.  My great uncle as well as my great great grandfather also died from Black Lung.
Coal Miners Pennsylvania 1911.
Coal miners at Ewen Breaker Pennsylvania Coal Company South Pittston, PA.


As a young girl in middle school I had to interview one of my grandparents and have them tell me about their childhood.  I interviewed my grandmother (nani) Constance Petritis (Gagliardi).  She told me all about her father working in the coal mines.  My family took a trip to the Lackawanna Coal Mine in Scranton and took a tour.  It was an amazing experience I still have with me today and will never forget.  Here is a copy of the report I wrote in middle school.  Click to enlarge.






Post a Comment


Atlanta Child Photographer, Atlanta Maternity Photographer, Atlanta Family Portrait Photographer, Atlanta Wedding Photographer, Atlanta Newborn Photographer, Atlanta Birth Story Photographer, Atlanta Engagement Photographer

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP